Monday, May 23, 2011

Soap Day!

 Good Morning!! Hope everyone had a great weekend, I sure did. It was my favorite kind of weekend...the one that's lazy and slow! The weather was beautiful and warm. We got to meet some great new people and share a few drinks, do a bit of gardening, mowing and of course a little laundry. I was running low on detergent so I figured I'd share with you how I make my own from scratch! Besides cleaning the clothes wonderfully it's Super cheap compared to buying a store brand detergent. I've been making my own for about 6 months now and I love it.



                 Only a few ingredients: Borax ($3.25), Washing Soda ($2.25), and Laundry Bar ($1.15)

Measure out 1/2 cup borax and a 1/2 cup washing soda and 1 laundry bar. You can use a grater if you'd like, I tried that once and I could barely finish the whole bar it wore my hand out!! So I use a sharp knife and just cut into chucks so your blender doesn't have to work as hard. I got my little blender for $5 at a local grocery store and it does a great job chopping it pretty fine.

Thats it! just pour the borax, washing soda, and finely chopped laundry bar into what ever kind of container you'd like to use and stir it up good. One full washer load takes 1 spoonful of detergent and I like to put about 4 shakes of peppermint oil into my laundry. Lavender smells nice too!

I usually make two batches at a time and it lasts me a little longer than 6 months and that's for a family of four. And if you use any kind of essential oils they just seem to last forever... I've had mine for over a year and I'm about half way done with the small bottle. And I'm telling ya my husbands work cloths are  D.i.r.t.y so if this stuff can get his cloths clean it's good enough for me. Not to mention how much money I'm saving not buying a new bottle every month for 20 bucks or more.

So if your feelin froggy try it out and see how it works for you and let me know!

** I buy my Laundry bar at a local natural food store, you can check your local stores or always order them online.

No comments:

Post a Comment